Subject: Notes on building under RedHat 7.1
From: Dan Christian <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:25:37 -0700

I just got comedi building under a stock Redhat 7.1 kernel.  Here are 
my notes on how to make it work.  There are really just two issues to 
fix: getting the right .config file, and working around RedHat's custom 
version.h file.

You have to have kernel-headers and kernel-source installed and then 
you have to get the right config file in place.  In my case, I'm 
building for a K6-2 (i586 compatible).

# as root
cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.4.2 linux		# this may already have been done
cd linux
# now copy the right config file to the standard place
cp -p configs/kernel-2.4.2-i586.config .config

# as any user
cd comedi
make config
# you will get a message about the kernel version.  Ignore it (for now)
# This is due to RedHat's multi-kernel version.h file.
emacs .uts_version
# it will have multiple values for UTS_VERSION.  
# Edit to just have your kernel (e.g. 2.4.2-2)
make clean
make dep
make

# as root
make install

Everything seems to work fine.

-Dan

_______________________________________________
comedi mailing list
[email-masked]
http://stm.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/comedi

From: Kevin Thayer <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: error when make comedi
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:01:20 -0400

Hi, 

I am developing applications using Labview 6.0 on Linux 7.0
(2.2.16-22).  Here are the detailed instructions on how I
successfully installed the comedi drivers for an NI-6023E Daq
board. I was receiving the same errors as mentioned in the previous
e-mail.

Linux E-series Installation Document for Red Hat Linux 7.0
(2.2.16-22) (comedi drivers)

1.) The first thing you will need to do is create a .config file
for the comedi installation in /usr/src/linux (note: in Red Hat
7.0, usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to usr/src/linux- 2.2.16).
First install the kernel source header files from the Red Hat
installation CD if they are not already in place. Make sure that
there is a symbolic link to the source headers from the kernel
source directory (usr/src/linux should be symbolically linked to
usr/src/linux2.2.16). Backup the old ./config file first.

2.) Navigate to the /usr/src/linux directory and enter the command
make menuconfig.  When the menu comes up, click on the exit button
(to accept all of the default settings) and opt to save the new
configuration.

3.) Copy the comedi-0.7.59.tgz file to the /usr/local directory
and unzip it (tar xzvf comedi-0.7.59.tgz).

4.) Navigate inside the newly created
/usr/local/comedi-0.7.59/include/linux and make the following
changes to the file fs.h with the editor of your choice, so that
it resembles the following text (basically, four lines commented
out from the original version):

/*
*  linux / fs.h compatability header
*/

#ifndef  __COMPAT_LINUX_FS_H_
#define __COMPAT_LINUX_FS_H_

#include <linux/version.h>

/* #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 0x020400 */
/* #define KILL_FASYSNC(a,b,c)	kill_fasync((a),(c)) */
/* #else */

#define KILL_FASYNC(a,b,c)	kill_fasync(&(a),(b),(c))

/* #endif */

#include_next <linux/fs.h>

#endif

5.)  Edit the file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h.
Ensure that the value for UTS_RELEASE matches the current kernel
(type uname -r from the console).

6.) Navigate back to the /usr/local/comedi-0.7.59 directory and
enter make config.

7.) Press enter to accept the default linux source tree.

8.) Enter 'y' for the first two features, Trig compatability and
Verbose debugging.

9.) Enter 'm' for the kernel comedilib feature.

10.) Enter 'n' for all of the remaining features except for the
following:

National Instruments Boards: 'y'
PCI-MIO E Series: 'm'
Generic 8255 support: 'm'

11.) After configuring the features, edit the file .uts_version
(pico or emacs) and ensure that the correct kernel version is
listed. If not, change it.

12.) Run the following commands consecutively:

make clean
make dep
make
make install
make dev
		the last command installs the following devices:

		/dev/comedi0
		/dev/comedi1
		/dev/comedi2
		/dev/comedi3

13.) Next, install the comedi Library. Copy the file
comedilib-0.7.16.tgz to the /usr/local directory and unzip using
the tar command.

14.) Navigate to the /usr/local/comedilib-0.7.16 directory.

15.) Run the following commands consecutively:

make
make install

16.) To install the driver into the kernel, enter the command:
/sbin/modprobe ni_pcimio

17.) Next, we must associate the device file with the driver:
/usr/sbin/comedi_config  /dev/comedi0 ni_pcimio

_______________________________________________
comedi mailing list
[email-masked]
http://stm.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/comedi