Subject: Re: Draft SOW

From: Chris Shelton <[email-masked]>

Statement of work

The IRTF is embarking on an important and progressive project
to improve the quality of images at the telescope.  That project is
the installation of an Adaptive Optics(AO) system that will cancel
image degradation caused by the atmosphere and telescope
optics.  This system will improve the images and sensitivites
on the telescope by about a factor of 5-10 resulting in very sharp images
in a fraction of the time. This system will specifically target
planetary observations and will produce images of the planets
comparable to that of Space Telescope, but in the infrared.

In order to maximize the utility of the new AO system we require the
assistance of an experienced Adaptive Optics Systems Optical
Design Consultant.  The Optical Design Consultant will:

1)Develop a conceptual model for the IRTF Adaptive Optics Relay.

2) Develop a conceptual model for the IRTF Adaptive Optics Wavefront Sensor

3) Contribute to the development of the conceptual model for the 
on-axis acquisition camera, off-axis guide camera and high
resolution wavefront sensor/visible photometric camera.

4) Participate in a review meeting of the concepts mentioned in 1,2 and 3

5) Develop final designs for the Adaptive Optics Relay and the 
Adaptive Optics Wavefront Sensor suitable for building.
The delivered documentation will include:

Full ray trace data in Zemax compatible format
Manufacturing specifications for the curved optics or lenses
Spot diagrams vs. field and wavelength 
Strehl vs. field and wavelength 
Positional Tolerance information - translations and tilts
DXF File that includes chief ray and four marginal rays 
Recommendations on surface errors and rougness.