Subject: irtf wfs

From: Chris Shelton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:55:12 -1000

Hi Buzz,

Have you recovered all right from all the German beer?
I'm getting started on the IRTF WFS, and wanted to confirm some
numbers with you.

 50mm  Pupil diam at DM           Cast in concrete, concrete has
hardened
 20mm  Pupil diam at lenslet      About to pour concrete
 f/60  F num at membrane mirror   About to pour concrete

>From looking at the Spex raytrace, the unvignetted field appears to be 
square, 59 arcsec on an edge.  I'm assuming this will be the region over
which the WFS has to patrol.  Please let me know if you have heard
otherwise.

Is this a 36 actuator design?

In Munich, you mentioned my coming over for a visit.  Is this
still a possibility?  Next week is out, but after that is free.

I'm supposed to interview with Keith Taylor from the Anglo-Aussie
telescope next Wednesday, for a Caltech job.  He's been made an
offer, and I would be working with him and Richard Ellis, who has
already moved to Pasadena.  If you run into any of these people
(this would be in Hilo or elsewhere), please put in a good word.

Have you and Malcolm come to any decisions on Laplacian?

Cheers,

Chris S

---

From: Buzz Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:02:48 -1000

> 20mm  Pupil diam at lenslet      About to pour concrete

yes

> f/60  F num at membrane mirror   About to pour concrete

yes

>which the WFS has to patrol.  Please let me know if you have heard

Field limit to B/S in Spec's and NSF Cam, not sure what that is? 
Rayner should know.

>Is this a 36 actuator design?

yes

>still a possibility?  Next week is out, but after that is free.

Yes, I hoping Dan will pull together a meeting to sort out details in 
the WFS design.

>Have you and Malcolm come to any decisions on Laplacian?

It is still going forward.  Arrival of the money now and it's a done 
deal, May to June are possible.

Aloha,

Buzz