Subject: Services Contract

From: Chris Kaukali <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:34:47 -1000 (HST)

Hi Dr. Shelton,

Doug Toomey has informed me that you have agreed to provide your services
for the IRTF AO project.  I have a couple questions before I can proceed
drafting up the constulant contract.

You mentioned that you would rather have the contract made out to you as
an individual instead of through your company.  It will save a  week if we
could draft the contract with your company.  The University rules requires
contracts with individuals to go through an "independent contractor 
review" (takes 7-10 days), where if we use your company, this is not
required.  

Also, you will need to obtain a tax clearance from the State/IRS.  This is
required for all contracts over $10,000.  I will fax you a copy of the tax
rules and the procedures for obtaining this clearance.  Information can be
obtained by telephone or on the web.  I would request at least 3 original
copies, one for you, one for us, and one to mail back to the tax office if
you need to renew it.  If you fax in your request, it should take 10-15
days.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Chris Kaukali
Administrative Officer
University of Hawaii
Institute for Astronomy
ph: 808-956-7271 fax: 808-956-4644

---

From: Chris Shelton <[email-masked]>

Hi Chris Kaukali,

I filed applications for the tax clearance on the 24th, requesting 
four copies.  On the 25th I talked with Diane at the Hilo office, who
confirmed receipt, said everything looks ok, and confirmed your estimate 
of 10-15 days turnaround.

My company was set up, in California, as a sole proprietorship with no 
employees, and I have been using my SSN (572-62-2748) as a tax ID for it. 
I just filed the Hawaiian BB1 form for it on the same day (8/24) as the tax 
clearance form, and so from a State of Hawaii perspective it may not exist
yet. If it is possible under these circumstances to contract with you as a company, I would prefer that too -- otherwise, we should proceed with the 
independent contractor review.  I would appreciate your advice on this.

Thank you,
Chris Shelton

---

From: Chris Shelton <[email-masked]>

Chris, Karan,

The GE ID number has arrived.  It is

GE ID 30117364

Shelton, Jean Christopher
DBA Carpe Photon
PO Box 323
Paauilo, HI 96776

Thank you for the IRTF contract.  It looks fine to me.  I will
pass it by my lawyer tomorrow then return it, also tomorrow.

Chris Shelton

Carpe Photon
[email-masked]
808 881-3817 (Keck office)

---

From: Chris Shelton <[email-masked]>

Hi Chris,

The stamped tax clearance forms have arrived.  The contract and one copy of 
the tax clearance should go out to you today.  Hopefully this will do it.
Is there anything you want faxed, or will mail be ok?

Thanks much,

Chris Shelton

>Hi Dr. Shelton,
>
>The Taxation Office seems to be the only office that gets things done
>quickly!  Please fill in the ID number on the contract.  You will also
>need to get the tax clearance taken care of if you haven't already.  I
>think I faxed the instructions on how to do that to you.  If you need
>assistance, or if your lawyer has any questions, please contact me via
>email or phone, 808-956-7271.  Thanks.
>
>
>Chris Kaukali
>Administrative Officer

---

From: Chris Kaukali <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:15:16 -1000 (HST)

Great!  The State Tax Office does it again.  You do not need to fax
anything.  Send them all in the mail.

Chris Kaukali

---

From: Chris Shelton <[email-masked]>

Chris K,

This is fine with me.

Chris S

>Dr. Shelton,
>
>If it's OK with everyone, i'm going to change the effective date of the
>contract to the date that RCUH signs it.  The period of performance
>(#2) will be changed to read "completed within approximately 90 days of
>execution"
>
>This should not affect anything already done.  It's ok to finish early,
>just need to submit your invoices stating that phase xxx is completed.
>
>Any travel reimbursements will be handled outside of this contract, so
>that should not be an issue.  
>
>CHris
>
>
>

---

From: Chris Kaukali <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:44:40 -1000 (HST)

Your copy of the contract was mailed today.  I asked Karan Hughes to fax
you copies of the PO and the signature pages.  Let me know if there is
anything else I can do for you.

Chris Kaukali