Subject: Re: Services Contract

From: Chris Kaukali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:29:44 -1000 (HST)

Mr. Shelton,

I'll need to do more research on registering your business with the State
of HI, and how long the process takes.  My wife owns her own business, and
if I recall, it was quite a bit of paperwork (registering the name,
obtaining a General Excise Tax License, etc).  

The easiest and fastest way to get this taken care of is to offer a
temporary position at UH for the maximum equivalent of 3 months full time.
This way, as a UH employee, we can pay for *most* of the expenses,
including travel.  You will also be paid a salary and will not need to
deal with all these tax forms (tax clearance, GE tax license, IRS Form
1099).  Doug mentioned that you are currently employed full time with
Keck, so I don't know if you feel comfortable with that.  We can probably
work something out where you might be a 75% time employee (doesn't matter
when you put in the hours, as long as you work them) for 4 months.  You
will also be covered (for insurance purposes) if you are injured while on
the job.  So there are a lot of benefits.  As for pay scale, i'll check on
that and let you know what the range is.  I can't pin down a figure since
there really is no job description (as of yet).

Chris Kaukali
Administrative Officer
University of Hawaii
Institute for Astronomy
ph:  808-956-7271 fax:  808-956-4644

---

From: Chris Kaukali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:34:42 -1000 (HST)

Dr. Shelton,

I've mailed the services contract to you today.  Please review, sign and
return as soon as possible.  If you have any questions, please contact me
via email or phone 808-956-7271.

Chris Kaukali
Administrative Officer

---

From: Chris Kaukali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:41:08 -1000 (HST)

Dr. Shelton,

If it's OK with everyone, i'm going to change the effective date of the
contract to the date that RCUH signs it.  The period of performance
(#2) will be changed to read "completed within approximately 90 days of
execution"

This should not affect anything already done.  It's ok to finish early,
just need to submit your invoices stating that phase xxx is completed.

Any travel reimbursements will be handled outside of this contract, so
that should not be an issue.  

CHris